Birth of the child is a wonderful and different experience which lot of women experience and for each and every woman its happiness and uniqueness is as same as if you are becoming mom for the first time or you are already a parent nothing change when it comes to happiness of parents. How quickly you will become mother depends on many factors and out of those factors one important factor is your labor pain.
Labor pain is contractions which a pregnant women experiences after the completion of their 9 mths or probably for some it can be earlier depending upon the pregnancy stats. These are contractions which occurs when uterus contracts itself. Labor is nothing but a sequence of severe and repeated muscle contractions. This contractions will help the baby come out of the uterus which is also called as mother’s womb and from there it reached canal of birth.
This contractions are generally seen from the lower back moving towards stomach area.This phenomena is called as labor pains.This labor pain helps in the dilation of cervix which is the opening of vagina.The more the dilation it will be easy for the baby to come out smoothly and also helps in normal delivery.
If you are experiencing painful contractions regularly and also showing signs of a dilating cervix, then it means you are going into labor. The intensity and duration of labor can vary from woman to woman. On an average, the labor pain generally lasts for 7-8 hours if you are getting pregnant for the first time, but it can also be shorter or longer than that, whereas if you are getting pregnant for the second time then the labor can be around 6 hrs. Nevertheless, these are some of the things you must know about labor and speeding up the process.
[ WORTH READ: TOP 7 REASONS WHY IT IS SAFE TO EAT MANGOES DURING PREGNANCY ]
What are the signs of labor ?
Many females are often confused that the contractions which they are facing are actually labor contractions or pre labor contractions. So following are the few signs of labor which you can always keep in your mind to immediately get yourself admitted to hospital or nursing homes.
- Severe and constant contractions which is occurring every 5 minutes and they last for at least 1 min each
- Your apetite will completely go and you will feel hot and anxious
- Your walking will be difficult and urination will be increased
- Since the baby drops his head in pelvis region your breathing will also become deep and difficult
- You will observe heavy discharge from vagina which will contain more amount of mucus
What Is Prolonged Labor?
There are times and conditions due to which labor pains occurs too slowly. When your labor is prolonged doctor also uses the term as “failure to progress”. This means either your cervix is not getting dilated enough for the baby head to come out or your contractions are too slow for an appropriate push.
[ WORTH READ: 10 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD EAT ALMONDS DURING PREGNANCY ]
Maximum time which is considered for a normal labor is 20 hrs if your pain goes beyond 20 hrs it is called as delayed labor or prolonged labor. You must be curious to know why the labor gets prolonged or why it becomes slow so for that you should be reading further
Why is your labor slow?
A slow labor can be caused by a number of reasons such as:
- If you are really exhausted or dehydrated
- Abnormal positioning of the baby
- The size of your baby is big enough to move through birth canal
- Hormone inefficiency due to factors such as anxiety, stress and tension
- Mild, irregular or weak contractions
- Other interventions like staying still for a long time to having an epidural that can slow down the labor
- Having an android pelvis, etc.
What happens when your labor slows down or get prolonged ?
No female or a would be mother will pray for this situation to occur. Each one will always pray to god for a fast labor and a normal smooth delivery. When you labor gets prolonged it can lead to exhaustion and sometimes emotionally you become weak. But always remember one thing it will never lead to any complications. Few things your doctor would do if you phase prolonged labor.
[ WORTH READ: 5 AMAZING BENEFITS OF HONEY FOR PREGNANT WOMEN! MUST TRY! ]
Few medical test and interventions are done
- You might be told to walk, sleep or take warm water bath
- You may be asked to do squats which at times help in dilation
- Finally if nothing works they will perform a C- section which is known as Cesarean section where in they will operate and remove your baby out of the womb.
Below are the few risk factors which your baby can face due to prlonged delivery
- Baby can suffer with low oxygen levels
- Heartbeat and heart rhythm of the baby can turn abnormal
- Amniotic fluid the place where your baby resides can contain some abnormal substances
- Your baby can also face uterine infection
What are the ways to speed up your labor ?
If you are experiencing labor which is slow and want to speed up the process, then your midwife or doctor may suggest any one of these procedures
[ WORTH READ: 4 HEALTHY AND UNHEALTHY FOODS FOR 5TH MONTH PREGNANCY ]
Manual water break
In this procedure, your gynecology, sister or doctor manually breaks the water by a thin and long hook like thing is inserted into your vagina to break open the amniotic sac. This procedure is carried out during the active stages of labor towards the end and is not very painful but can be a bit uncomfortable.
If the manual water breaking or walking around doesn’t help with speeding the labor, the doctor might recommend a hormonal drip. In this procedure the artificial form of oxytoxin hormone called Syntocinon is administered into the body, to trigger labor and therefore speed the process. The doctor or midwife will also monitor the child’s heart rate and breathing continuously during this procedure to ensure the well being of the baby during the contractions.
Vacuum device delivery
If your baby has already reached the birth canal but there is no crowning is seen then doctor uses a special instruments or a vacuum cup like device which is fixed on the head of the baby and it is pulled out with electrical pressure.
[ WORTH READ: LITTLE ELLIE’S JOURNEY OF HER DREAMS TURNING TO REALITY ]
Home remedies for speeding up the labor
Every pregnant women should be doing the below things to get their labor speed up which will help them in smooth and faster delivery. If you would like to speed up the labor at home, below are some home remedies that your doctor or midwife may suggest:
- You should walk a little or at least be active which will help you to realize pain
- You should empty your bladder by urinating enough as if your urinary bladder is full your labor might be slow
- You should get engage in some oral sex with your partner and also you can ask him massage your breast or twist your nipples.
- You should take hot water bath to keep yourself warm
- You should change your sleeping positions as advice by your gynecology because it can help in returning your baby to normal position in case the baby got shifted.It will help the baby to come to normal and ideal position.
[ WORTH READ: BABY’S SKIN IS TOO SENSITIVE – NEVER KISS A NEWBORN ON HER LIPS ]
Ways to cope with prolonged and delayed labor
For many females and would be mother it is most difficult thing to cope up with 13-14 hrs long labor pain and they feel their 9 months of pregnancy problems are nothing in front of these labor pains. So here are a few tips to ease the process:
- You need to do some deep breathing exercises and meditation to overcome the pain.
- Listen to soft and your favorite music
- Eat light snacks and keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids
- Get your partner to massage your back, or stroke your hands or feet
- Change your resting positions to feel more comfortable
- You should keep talking to your gynaecologist and your caretaker to know what is your situation and what exactly are you going through.As they have been monitoring you from day one and they know your condition well.
It is not easy for any women to spend such long time in labor room and experiences such pain.You should be well prepared in all aspects like mentally, physically and also emotionally you should prepare yourself to be strong.If you will remain strong it will help you to go through this difficult times.
[ WORTH READ: TWO YEAR OLD NORTH AMERICAN BABY SURVIVES COPPERHEAD SNAKE BITE ]
Although these tips and suggestions given above will help mothers in labor be more comfortable and stress free, it’s always best to listen your heart instead of getting influence by your partner, parents and family. In spite of all the above tips you are the best person to get the intuition whether you actually are in labor and when your labor is due.
Do not mistake pre labor pain as a labor and panic yourself. Also never hesitate to seek the advice of your gynecologist as she is the best person who knows you for long 9 months of your pregnancy. Also feel free to talk to other females who are in their lactating period as they have recently gnethorugh such similar situation and they will help make your bundles of joy come to you in a best possible and easy manner.