Many persons though they are well read, always have a doubt whether they have the perfect height and weight. Not many know that the height and weight of a person is not determined by looking at the charts which have been displayed everywhere but depends on the various factors of an individual which includes the amount of fat accumulated, the bone and muscle weight etc.
The most known, and the near to accurate way of calculating a person’s weight and height depends entirely on his Body Mass Index or the BMI
[ WORTH READ: 11 Ways To Freshen Up Your Fitness]
What is BMI or Body Mass Index?
Body Mass Index is a simple and non surgical way of measuring the body fat, of an individual, depending on his weight in accordance to his height. This way of measuring body fat will apply to both men and women who are aged above twenty. Between the ages of two years and twenty years, only the standard weight is considered and not the height of an individual.
Healthy Body Mass Indices:
We can have a look at the healthy Body Mass Indices. If the body mass index is less than 18.5, the person is considered as underweight for his age and height, If a person has a body mass index measuring from 18.5 to 24.9 he or she is considered to have a healthy body mass index. On the other hand if any individual has a body mass index of 25 to 29.9 percent, he can be called an overweight individual who has to give attention to get rid of his weight, and last but not the least, if any individual has a body mass index which measures 30 or more than 30, the person is definitely termed as obese and he needs to give immediate attention to his weight reduction and other health issues. Or else he may have a risk of multiple heart attacks, may suffer from high blood pressure etc.
[ WORTH READ: The 100 Best Fitness Tips]
While knowing or measuring the Body Mass Index of any individual, certain points have to be kept in mind.
- Since body mass index measuring technique does not measure the body fat directly, it cannot be taken as a base for diagnosis for issues related to weight gain or problems associated with heavy and overweight individuals.
- It is basically used to ascertain whether a person is underweight of his age, overweight obese or has a healthy weight according to his age and height.
- If any individual’s Body Mass Index exceeds the prescribed limits, he is for sure to be suffering from various or multiple health issues, which has to be attended to immediately.
- Body Mass Indices may vary for persons to persons of the same age from different countries. A person of the same age in Australia may have a different Body Mass Index compared to the same age bracket person of India, due to their differences in eating habits, their genetics and lifestyle.
After knowing what Is a Body Mass Index and the ideal Body Mass indices we now have a look as to how the Body Mass Index is calculated. What are the ways and methods of calculating the body mass index and how can a person know if that is the correct weight according to one’s height.
To determine a person’s Body Mass Index, and if the person has some health issues, the following things have to be kept in mind.
- Age of the Individual
- Dietary Habits
- Family history for any kind of diseases or chronic illnesses, including obesity and hypertension etc.
- The individual’s daily routine and his quotient of physical activity, the importance he gives to exercise and other fitness regimes he follows.
[ WORTH READ: Fit Body, Fit Brain and Other Fitness Trends]
Calculation of Body Mass Index:
Body Mass Index was calculated by a Belgian statistician around 150 years ago using a certain formula. However there are other ways of calculating the body mass index too.
1. Waist Hip Ratio (WHR):
As the name suggests, this method of measuring the body mass index depends on the ratio of the measurements of both the waist and that of the hips of an individual person. The smallest circumference or the measurement of the waist has to be taken into consideration and the widest part of the hip has to be noted down. Once these two measurements are taken into consideration, the measurement of the waist has to be divided by the measurement of the hip. By doing so, we can derive at the BMI of a person.
[ WORTH READ: Tracking Your Fitness Regime Progress And Body Fat ]
The measurement of the waist has to be done correctly at the place just above the belly button. For example if a person’s waist measurement is around 25 and the hips measurements is around 30, the Waist Hip Ratio of the person would be 0.8333.
To give more insights or to know about the male and the female Waist Hip Ratio we can easily say that,
- If a male has a waist hip ratio of around 0.89 and less than 0.89, he is less prone to heart problems.
- If the WHR measures from 0.9 to 0.99, the male is known to have moderate risk of heart and other related problems.
- If the WHR measurement exceeds 1 or above 1, the individual is sure to have high risk of cardio vascular problems along with related health issues like overweight, knee problems due to the high pressure on the knees, diabetes, hypertension etc.
Apart from the health problems, he will not be able to move around in the society freely due to the snide marks by his own family regarding his weighty issues.
The same holds good to the females too, but with a moderate difference in the readings.
- If a individual female has a reading less than 0.8, she has lesser risk of getting a heart problem.
- If the reading is in between 0.8 to 0.89, she is a bit on the risky side but not too alarming condition.
- If the reading exceeds 0.9 and more than it, it is high time that she pays attention to her weight issues, and take steps to reduce it, or else it might lead to severe heart problems.
[ WORTH READ: Get Rid Of Double Chin Forever With This Simple Trick]
2. Waist to Height Ratio (WHR):
This is another method of measuring the BMI. In this method the height of a person is compared with the measurement of his hips. Below is the ideal chart for maintaining the ideal BMI using the WHR or Waist to Height Ratio.
- If a man’s height is around 6 feet, the measurement of his waist should be anywhere below 91 centimeters.
- And if a women’ s height is around 5 feet and 4 inches, her waist measurement should be maintained at around 32 inches or approximately 81 centimeters.
[ WORTH READ: 10 Celebrities Who Nailed The Off Shoulder Trend]
3. Body Fat Percentage Method:
Another method which is used to calculate the ideal weight and the body mass index is the Body Fat percentage Method. In this method, the fat percentage is calculated using the weight of the fat, which is accumulated in the body, dividing it by the total weight of an individual.
We also have to know the kinds of fats in our body. Not all fats are bad for the body. The three types of fat are Essential fat, which is very much needed for the body to function properly. The second type of fat is the Storage fat, which is very much needed to protect the internal organs of the body. The third kind of fat is the total body fat percentage, which is nothing but the addition of the essential fat and the storage fat.
[ WORTH READ: How To Exfoliate Your Lips Using Baking Soda]
- Men : 6 to 13 percent
- Women: 14 to 20 percent.
- Overweight men: 26 to 30 percent and women, 32 to 41 percent. Anything which exceeds this percentage can be called as obesity for both men and women.
So, what are you waiting for? Check out how much you weigh and determine are you really obese or not? If yes, do not delay further and start exercising immediately for a healthy physique.
[ WORTH READ: Fitness On a Limited Budget: How To Do it Right]