#1 Recipe- Chicken Curry Mummy Style
You will need:
- Chicken 1 kg washed clean and cut into bite size pieces. (The dressed chicken always tastes better i.e dressed chicken is chicken with the skin on)
- Onion 2 nos. medium sized diced finely.
- Tomatoes 2 nos. medium sized chopped
- Ginger garlic paste 2 spoons
- Coconut ground to paste ½ coconut yields about 2 cups of coconut paste
- Chilli powder around 3 teaspoons
- Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder 2 teaspoon
- Cumin powder 1 teaspoon (for this you need to slow roast the cumin seeds, grind cumin into fine powder. You can use the rolling pin to powder the cumin.)
- Garam Masala 2 teaspoon. For a more aromatic flavor, grind the masala yourself just before seasoning.
To Prepare Garam Masala you will need- ½ inch of cinnamon, 4 cloves, 2 cardamom, Salt to taste, Coriander leaves for garnish, Oil 5 table spoons.
In a wide mouthed wok, heat oil. Add the finely diced onions and fry till golden brown. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry. Now add the chicken pieces and slow roast the chicken till partly done, i.e the water from the chicken should dry up. Now add the tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes are nicely done. By now you will notice that the oil starts to separate out, now is the time to add the dry masalas except the garam masala powder. Cook for 1-3 minutes. Now add the coconut paste and cook till the chicken is done. This usually takes about 10-15 minutes. Taste for seasoning. Add water to make the curry to the desired consistency. Squeeze half a lemon if you like the curry to be tangy. Lastly, add the garam masala powder. Garnish with coriander leaves before serving.
This curry goes best with rice, especially pulaos.