Babies are the most precious for their parents. The role of a person in the family changes drastically when a baby comes into the picture! It is not only the mother that has to take responsibilities but the father as well. Babies need extra care right from their bath to their food. And since we have become susceptible to the easy way out, many people feed obnoxious amounts of packaged baby food to their child. While most of these foods would be healthy or at least state so, there are many quick and easy recipes which can be whipped at home itself.
Instead of buying cereals that promise to deliver loads of nutrition, you should try making some great food for the baby yourself. It doesn’t take rocket science and simple and healthy ingredients found in the kitchen will suffice. So, if you really want to put good nutrition in your baby, then follow some of these recipes, and you will be able to give your baby the best possible healthy food.
For the first six months or at least 4 (depending upon the child’s development), you will have to give the baby food which is in liquid form or in the form of a paste. Not every baby can digest solid food, and the posture of the baby needs to be developed to be able to take in the entire food.
Food recipes for 4-6-month-old baby
This is the most crucial period of a baby. It requires you to take special care when feeding your baby anything. They can’t chew and take in solid food, and this is why puree is the best recipe that you can make for them.
The perfect fruit and the must have for a baby. It is rich in potassium and fibre which your baby needs in plenty in the growing years. Bananas are as it is soft, but you can always mash them and make a softer puree out of it so that your baby doesn’t have a problem having it. Also, you can add a little bit of milk to make this past smoother one.
- 1 small banana
- Peel off a small banana and mash it using a fork.
- During the initial stages, to add a familiar taste and to thin down the consistency, little milk can be added.
These small little gems can always be blended to give the right puree to your child. There are plenty of reasons why you should give your child peas puree. It has Vitamin A and C along with iron, calcium, and protein. Everything that your baby needs to grow into a strong individual is in this wonder ingredient.
- 3 cups peas (organic frozen, with the least amount of sodium)
- 2 Tablespoons of water
- Steam froze peas for 2 minutes.
- The peas and two tablespoons of water can be placed in a food processor or blender.
- Until the texture is smooth and creamy, stirring can be done for few minutes. If necessary, more water can be added and continue to puree to reach the texture we desire. Due to their skins, peas are a little difficult to achieve smoothness for baby. For stage 1 baby food, the desired puree can be strained to produce a silky smooth puree.
- Puree can be served immediately or spooned in a BPA free ice-cube tray and can be covered with plastic wrap.
- It can be placed in the freezer and once frozen cubes can be removed and stored in a freezer bag.
Fats are essential for everyone, and that goes for babies as well. And avocados are the things that contain all the good fat. It nurtures the babies and helps in their physical development as well as improving their brain function.
- One organic avocado, mashed
If Serving Fresh / Immediately
- The avocado can be mashed with a fork or blended in a food processor.
- Then it can be mixed with breast milk, or water to achieve the desired consistency.
For later usage,
- The avocado can be mashed with a fork or blended in a food processor.
- The blend can be divided into ice cube trays, then wrapped/covered, and then can be allowed to freeze.
- Once defrosted, it can be mix with breast milk, or water to achieve the desired consistency
4.Baby brown rice cereal
These are meant for babies, and if you think that your baby won’t be able to handle the grains, then you should soften it and then make a paste out of it. Until the baby is ready to take in solid food, this will be a good option.
- Half cup of brown rice and 4 cups of water.
- Some form of a food processor or blender that has a milling blade can be required.
- The uncooked brown rice can be added to the food processor and can be milled to a fine powder. The milled brown rice along with 4 cups of water can be added to a pot and covered until it boils. Then, the heat can be turned to low, and cooking can be done with the lid for about 20 minutes.
- The consistency of the brown rice cereal can be checked and add water can be added if you want it to be thinner.
- Once the cereal attains the consistency most appropriate for the infant, it can be poured into storage cups and allowed to freeze in a refrigerator. Refrigeration can be done for up to 3 days, or freezing can be done for 30 days.
- Overall, it is much simpler than usually expected. And the best part is that this recipe can be used for large batches. It’s also quite inexpensive.
5.Baked sweet potato puree
Sweet potatoes are a favourite among the adults. They are delicious and come with all type of vitamin, antioxidant, and fibre that will do your baby the world of good. The process of making the puree is easy as well. You just have to bake them in the oven. Prick it first so that it bakes evenly. When they are done, you just have to peel them and scoop out the flesh. Blend them and you get your puree. This can be used as a first food as well.
- Two medium sweet potatoes
- The oven can be pre heated to 400 F / 200 C / 180 C. The potatoes can be scrubbed and pricked with a metal skewer or a fork.
- Then you can put it on a tray for baking and allowed to grill for approximately 45-50 minutes so that it becomes tender.
- Once it becomes tender, you can remove it from the microwave and cut it into halves, and then the flesh can be scooped out. Now blend this is a mixer grinder until smooth. To make the puree a little less thick, you can even add your child’s regular milk if required. One thing to keep in mind is not to puree ordinary potato flesh in a blender as it will produce a sticky texture.
- For a quick method, the Sweet Potato can be put into the microwave – the sweet potato can be scrubbed and pricked with a fork. Cooking can be done in the microwave on high temperature for 8 to 10 minutes until it gets soft. The sweet potato can be cut in half, and the flesh can be scooped out, then little breast milk or formula milk or cooled boiled water can be mixed to make a smooth consistency.
They are sweet in taste and have loads of antioxidants which will always be a great option for your baby. And they are extremely easy to prepare as well. You just have to find the carrots that are long and come with green stems. Place these in the water to simmer and once they are soft, you just have to blend them to make a puree out of it.
- 1 pound bundle of carrots prefer the slim ones with the greens stem attached.
- 1 cup water
- The carrots can be trimmed and peeled, and then cut into 1-inch thick pieces.
- Then they can be put into a medium saucepan with the water or broth. After bringing it to a boil, the flame can be reduced to simmer, and then the pot can be covered using a lid, and cooking can be done for 25 minutes (this will take longer time if the carrots are relatively thicker). Let the cooked liquid cool down. Purée it in a blender and freeze in small portions.
7.Spinach and yams
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach
- 1.5 cups vegetable stock.
- A half-pound yam peeled and cut into a 1/2 to 3/4-inch dice.
In a large pot, the yams can be brought to a boil in about 1 1/2 cups of water or stock. The flame can be reduced to a simmer, and the yams need to be cooked for about 10 minutes. Then spinach has to be added and cooked until both the yams and spinach become very tender. The mixture then has to be cooled and after this make it into a puree using a food processor or a blender.
This is best for First Foods.
- One small papaya
- A small papaya has to be cut into half, and the black seeds are to be removed.
- Make a puree using half the papaya or mash it to a smooth consistency.
Baby food needs special attention and care, as babies can be allergic to many things. So always try out by giving small amount of any new food item to the baby, so as to confirm, if the baby is able to digest that food or not. The above given baby food recipes will surely be useful for you and your baby will also love them. So, what are you waiting for?