Baking powder is a weak acid which made up of the combination of carbonate and bi carbonate. It is a chemical leaving agent which is very dry. It is mainly used to bake goods as it increases the volume and lighten the texture of the baking items. Earlier baking soda was used instead of baking powder but the reaction of baking soda with other ingredients was very fast, it was difficult for the batter to be baked for the gas escaped. So, baking powder was created where the reactions could be postponed until necessary.
Baking powder is a wonderful product that is not only helpful for kitchen but also for your home. It a kind of natural products as it is free from any harmful chemicals. Baking powder can be a substitute to numerous cleaning agents as well as personal care. It maintains the pH of a substance by neutralizing its effects, I .e the substance become neither too acidic, not too alkaline. It has deodorizing capabilities as well. It is an essential tool for any housewives. You only need to know where you can use it wisely. Here is a list of many areas where people have found baking soda to be very effective-
- Scrub your face and body: mix baking powder and water in 3:1 ration and get all natural scrub for your face and body. Gently apply the paste in circular motion remove dead skin from your body and face. Wash it to get all new and refreshing skin. This is mild on your skin and can be used on a regular basis.
- Solve acidic problems: baking powder can be used to treat stomach acidity and heartburn. It is a very effective and safe antacid and gives you prompt results. Refer to the instructions before use.
- Use as body deodorant: if your body gives foul odor and all the deodorants have failed. Then why not try baking soda. Just apply a little to your underarms and see how it neutralizes the body odor. Now apply some deodorant just for fragrance.
- Make your own toothpaste: you must have tried on neem sticks in place of toothpaste in order to avoid the harm, toothpaste does to you. Don’t worry; you can make your own toothpaste at home. All you need is 3%hydrogen peroxide solution and baking soda. Apply this mixture. For extra cleaning and whitening, you can directly dip your toothbrush into baking powder and brush your teeth.
- Refresh your scalp: very often into styling your hair? Worried about the damage? Try baking powder. A little amount of baking powder with your regular shampoo can help you refresh your scalp. It cleans the remains of styling products and makes your hair more manageable and healthy.
- Mouth freshener: you cannot brush your teeth all day long. Add a teaspoon of baking powder to a glass full of water, gargle, sputter and rinse. All the odors will be neutralized, giving you a fresh mouth.
- Quick relief from insect bites and itchy skin: for itchy skin, apply some baking powder after bath, into your skin. It will soothe your itching. For insect bites, you will need to make a paste of baking powder and water and then apply it on the affected area. You will be amazed to see the prompt results. It is also very effective for bee stings. Rub till you get relief.
- Clean and soften your hands: why spend your earning on chemical products when all you need to do is grab a can of baking powder. Mix 3 parts of baking soda with 1 part water and apply the mixture on your hands. You will have soft and odorless hands. You will love your hands more when you will find sun burns also fading away with regular application.
- Heal sore feet: 3 tablespoons of baking powder with some lemons in a tub of warm water will help you heal you sore feet. Rub mildly and get relived.
- Clean oral appliances, brushes and combs: it is very important to maintain oral and hair hygiene. For this you should keep cleaning your oral appliances like mouth pieces, retainers and dentures and as well as hair brushes and combs. 1 teaspoon of baking powder with some warm water will solve your problem.
To your kitchen and bathroom
Clean microwave and oven: it very easy to clean microwave. Just take a fresh sponge and with some baking powder in it and clean the inside and outside of the microwave. You will have a clean microwave without any chemical smell. For cleaning oven, you need to sprinkle some baking soda in the base of the oven and spray little water.
Let it stay for a night and scrub and clean with a sponge in the morning.
- Add shine to silver ware: for polishing silver ware you need to make a paste of 3 teaspoon of baking powder and 1 teaspoon of water. Just rub the mixture with a sponge on the items and rinse properly; you will get shiny silver ware.
- Kitchen ware: pots, pans and hand wash dishes, all will shine using baking powder. Mix two tablespoon full of baking powder with your favorite detergent to the dishwasher. You will have clean and shiny dishes.
- Cleaning kitchen sponges: have a messy sponge? Thinking of replacing it? Wait, try baking powder. Soak the sponge in a strong baking powder solution (4:1) ratio. Your sponge will be clean and fresh.
- Shine your bathroom tiles and kitchen floor: ½ cup of baking powder added to 1 bucket of warm water will remove stains and dirt from your bathroom tiles and kitchen floor. Avoid toxic floor cleaners and use baking powder to get sparkling and hygienic floor.
- Deodorize trash cans and drains: to avoid foul smell of kitchen dustbins, sprinkle some baking powder. Run warm water with ½ cup of baking powder in your sink to neutralize both acidic and basic odors. The results will give you fresh trash cans and drains.
- Remove foul odors from lunchbox: when the lunch box is not used, put a box of baking powder inside it. The baking powder will absorb all the bas smell from the, lunch box and make it smell fresh.
- Refresh your refrigerator: just open the cover of your baking powder can and keep it in the fridge for some time. You will be surprised to open a refreshing refrigerator.
- Clean your shower curtains: add some baking soda to a clean and dampen sponge or brush, scrub the shower curtain using this, now wash with water to get a clean and odorless shower curtain.
- Sanitize your cutting board: sprinkle a little baking powder on the chopping board, srub properly and wash off, you will get rid of your smelly chopping board.
For you home
- Dirt free furniture: to remove marks and stains from walls and furniture, apply baking powder to damp cloth and rub easily. Wipe using a clean and dry cloth.
- Sanitize baby clothes and cloth diapers: baby skin is very soft and requires mild cleaning detergents. But these detergents fail to fight tough odors and stains. ½ cup of baking powder to the detergent will simplify your work. Cloth diapers require ½ cup of baking powder in 2 quarts of water for cleaning.
- Clean cars: your car lights, tires, windows, vinyl floor mats and seats, chrome, unwanted scratch marks, all don’t need to wait. Try baking soda. Solution of ¼ baking soda and water will remove all stains and even neutralize the car odor.
- Remove grease and oil stains: sprinkle some baking powder on the grease spills or light duty oil and rub with a wet brush. All the stains will fade away.
- Clean batteries: batteries contain strong acids which can be harmful. You need to be extra cautious while cleaning batteries. It is very essential to disconnect the battery terminals before starting. Baking soda neutralizes battery acid oxidization mowers, cars, etc due to its mild alkali nature. Apply 3:1 proportion of baking soda and water and scrub with a damp cloth. Petroleum jelly can be used after cleaning and re connecting, to avoid future damage.
- Remove carpet odor: with just few sprinkles of baking powder, you can remove the foul smell from the carpet. You need to spread some baking powder in the carpet for almost a night and then vacuum clean it. The more you let it stay, the better you will see the results.
- Deodorize smelly sneakers: you must be tired of keeping your sneakers in sunlight to remove the foul smell. And especially when it is rainy outside, you have no option except to keep your sneakers inside. Try this. Spread some baking powder into the sneakers when not using them all the bad smell will vanish.
- Linen freshener: baking powder does wonder to refresh your linens. Simply add ½ cup baking powder to your washing machine and get fresh sheets and towels.
- Fire extinguisher: not major fire, but baking powder can smother the flames of minor grease or kitchen fires. This is because baking powder when heated up gives off carbon di oxide. Just turn of the gas or electricity and throw a handful of baking powder at the base of the flame to put it out.
- Refresh closets: Your closet is something you need to open daily, and may be more than once. It is very important to have a fresh closet. For this you need to place a box of baking powder on one of the shelves of the closet to fade the foul odor. But remember to open the cover of the box of baking powder or else there shall be no effect.
There are various other benefits of keeping a box of baking powder at home. Baking powder is a main ingredient of baking foods. Cakes, breads all get their sponges due to baking powder. But baking powder should be taken with care and in mild dosage. There are certain side effects if more than required is taken. These effects are very rare but you should consult your doctor as soon as you:
Feel the urge to urinate frequent, have continuing headache, loss of appetite, mood swings, nausea, slow breath, unpleasant taste, unusual restlessness or weakness, swelling of feet, muscle pain or nervousness. Your doctor may help you to prevent and reduce the symptoms, if you go immediately. So it is better advised to use the amount recommended by experts while cooking. Otherwise, in all other purposes, baking powder is a cheap and effective source. It is a natural means to all your problems.