Castor oil, a vegetable oil obtained from the seeds of the castor oil plant, Ricinus communis is a pale yellow liquid with a distinct odor and taste. It has been used since ages as a home remedy for various ailments like constipation, to treat eye irritation etc. Apart from the medicinal and curative benefits of castor oil, the properties of castor oil are also effective in healing the body as well as makes it an excellent choice for maintaining beautiful and healthy skin and hair. Castor oil is a rich source of ricinoleic acid, a monounsaturated fatty acid, which gives it most of its medicinal properties. Below are a few mind blowing remedies of Castor oil for maintaining beautiful and healthy skin and hair.
Castor oil for Skin care
Castor oil is an excellent source of essential nutrients like Vitamin E, minerals and antioxidants that boost skin health. Though these nutrients are abundantly available in foods, only a small amount of these may be absorbed by the skin. Hence, external application of Castor oil not only supplies it with nutrients but also keeps the skin moisturized.
- Castor oil cures acne:
The ricinoleic acid in Castor oil has the ability to penetrate the skin tissue deeply, and works to inhibit many bacteria and viruses. This makes it an effective treatment for acne. In order to treat acne using Castor oil, follow this procedure.
Dab a hot damp washcloth all over the face in the evening before going to bed. The heat will gently open the pores on the face. After this, gently massage a little castor oil into the skin. Leave it on overnight. Repeat this daily for 1-2 weeks for best results. It can also be repeated twice a day, once in the morning and once in the night.
- Castor oil keeps the skin look young, smooth and wrinkle-free:
Castor oil’s ability to penetrate deep into the skin, softens and hydrates the skin. The oil also helps promote the production of collagen and elastin, which helps to delay the appearance of fine lines and , giving the skin a more youthful appearance. It also helps to rejuvenate and repair the skin while diminishing dark circles under the eyes, also helping the skin look young. It has been proven to be one of the best alternatives to the commercially available anti-ageing skin creams. It may be used in the following ways:
For dry skin: Mix ¼ of castor oil and ¾ of sesame oil.
For normal skin: Mix ¼ of castor oil and ¾ of grape seed oil.
For oily skin: Mix ¼ of castor oil and ¾ of jojoba oil.
Gently massage the face in the evening with the oil mix. Keep it for 2-3 hours. Put slightly warm damp washcloth over the face for about a minute and take away the excess oil with a cotton pad. This leaves the skin soft, nourished and hydrated. Castor oil can also be used to moisturize the gentle under eye area. Castor oil and sweet almond oil are mixed in 1:1 proportion and used as under eye cream.
Castor oil for Dry skin:
The high levels of fatty acids in Castor oil make it a great moisturizer. The fatty acids restore the moisture balance in the skin that ultimately prevents dryness especially during colder months. People with cracked ankles or dry skin in the feet should massage the affected portion with castor oil and soak it in hot water for some time. This helps in making the skin soft.Mix castor oil with coconut oil in 1:1 proportion and apply to the affected area of the skin. Leave it for 20-30 minutes, and then rinse off. Pat dry it. Repeating this for a couple of times leaves the skin soft and makes the dryness disappear. Mix one teaspoon of castor oil with one egg yolk and apply it over the face as a mask. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and rinse it off with lukewarm water. This mask is an ultimate and lovable solution to obtain a smooth and skin free of dryness.
- Castor oil prevents scarring: Castor oil has an excellent property of minimizing and removing both internal and external scars, including those formed following surgeries. It penetrates deep into the tissues and slowly breaks up the scar tissue. Castor oil has an amazing ability to distinguish between the healthy cells and the abnormal ones. In healthy cells, castor oil will detoxify and stimulate them, while increasing circulation. In abnormal cells like growth or scar tissues, it works to aggressively dissolve cells due to its wonderful solvent property. Several commercial scar reduction creams also contain castor oil.
- To break down Internal Scarring: Soak a piece of clean cloth in castor oil and place it over the scar for an hour or two each day. Simply rubbing castor oil over the scar each day will also give same results. This breaks down even the more serious internal scarring.
- To prevent new scars from forming: Applying castor oil over cuts or scrapes will promote excellent skin healing.
- To heal scars after surgery: Applying castor oil after surgery, cuts or wounds will also minimize scar formation.
This could be because of the ability of castor oil to increase the body’s lymphocytes (due to this property, castor oil packs are especially helpful for people with HIV or AIDS). Lymphocytes or WBCs appear to regulate wound healing. T-Lymphocytes may play an important role in wound healing and scar formation. Since they are higher in babies compared to teenagers and adults, the ability of wound healing and scar formation decreases over age.
- Castor Oil for removing warts and moles
Warts: Warts is a viral infection that manifests as benign cauliflower shaped skin growths. Rinoleic acid acts as an antiviral drug; hence whether it is deep plantar warts or common warts, castor oil always gives effective result. Apply a Band-Aid soaked in castor oil on the infected area at night, and remove it in the morning. Repeat this till the warts disappear.
Moles: A mole is an abnormality in the skin, often termed as a dark spot. They can occur anywhere on the skin and generally appear as raised black spots. They may appear in various shapes and sizes and are usually brown in color. Instead of opting for the costly surgical methods to remove these moles, it is advisable to use castor oil as a natural remedy for moles. Make a paste with a pinch of baking soda and a little castor oil. Apply it on the affected part of the skin and leave it overnight. Repeat this regularly to get rid of moles permanently.
Castor oil for Hair Care
In order to flaunt glossy and beautiful hair, which is also strong and shiny, Castor oil has proven to be one of the best natural remedies. Its components not only strengthen the hair, but they also help in preventing hair fall, prevent premature greying of hair, as well as in regrowth of hair. It is highly essential to maintain the health of the hair.
- Castor Oil prevents hair loss and regenerates hair: The antibacterial and anti-fungicidal properties of rinoleic acid in castor oil protect the scalp and hair from the infections that is responsible for hair loss. The omega-9-fatty acids in castor oil nourish the hair and prevent the scalp from drying.
- Massage slightly warm castor oil into the hair and scalp. This improves blood circulation to the follicles, promoting faster hair growth. It nourishes the hair as well.
- For a better effect, after massaging the oil into the roots, spread all over the hair, make a bun and cover the hair with a cap. Leave it on overnight and wash off the next day (Washing more than once is required as the oil is very thick and greasy and does not get off easily).
- Since the castor oil is too thick or viscous, it is very hard to work with it. Hence mix it with coconut oil or sweet almond oil in proportion 1:1 and massage as above. This leaves the hair shiny as well as helps it grows faster.
- Regular use of castor oil thickens the hair and encourages new hair growth, due to its Omega-6 and Omega-9 fatty acid contents, both of which are useful for encouraging healthy growth of hair.
- Mix a couple of drops of Castor oil with a leave-in conditioner and apply evenly on to the hair. This conditions the hair and leaves the locks soft and healthy.
- Castor Oil Treats Dandruff and other scalp conditions:
Due to its antibacterial and antifungal properties, castor oil, when massaged into the scalp prevents dandruff and other scalp conditions quickly. If used regularly, it will avoid such conditions from taking hold in the first place.
For Dry hair and dandruff: Mix 1 tablespoon of Castor oil with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add juice of half lemon.
For Oily hair and dandruff: Mix 1 tablespoon each of castor oil, honey, and aloe vera gel, then add juice of half a lemon.
Apply the mask on the roots of the hair for about 30 minutes before shampooing and conditioning the hair. This mask will not only help in getting rid of dandruff, but will also nourish and condition the hair, making it healthier and shinier.
- Castor oil for thickening eyebrows and eyelashes:
- Rubbing a little castor oil over the base of the eyelashes before bed, prevents thinning and promotes rapid growth, leading to thicker and fuller lashes.
- Rubbing castor oil over the brow line before bed thickens the eyebrows.
- Castor oil helps to get rid of split ends:
Applying castor oil to the ends of the hair half an hour before shampooing and doing this regularly will help in getting rid of split ends, and dry hair. In fact, the hair looks shinier and healthier.
- Castor oil hair masks for shiner hair:
- Slightly warm up one cup of Kefir on a water bath. Add a couple of tablespoons of Castor oil. Mix well and apply to the hair (roots and ends).
- Put on a shower cap and then towel.
- Leave it for half an hour and rinse it off, shampoo and condition the hair.
- If regularly used, this mask gives a healthier, shinier and a softer hair.
There are a lot of other benefits of castor oil for treating brittle nails, pain killer for arthritis, treating ringworm, curing allergies, clears constipation, removing corns etc. Apart from being helpful in maintaining the health and beauty of the skin and hair, it has been used since ages to even induce labor. It boosts immunity and helps maintain the overall health. The remedies described above are those where Castor oil may be used on a daily basis for skin and hair care. Look gorgeous with a glowing skin and glossy thick hair using Castor Oil magic!!!!!